Grand Jubilee Celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the IFGS
(International Professional Association of Artist Blacksmiths)
From Sept. 1 to Oct. 13, 2002, the smiths, metal designers, artists, other designers, and architects of the IFGS will present their contemporary works to a broad interested public in the smithing yard of the open-air museum in Hagen.
The event will be held under the aegis of the mayor of the city of Hagen, Germany.
In correspondence with the historical ambience of the restored old smithies, contemporary designs in blacksmithing art will be shown, for example wells, light objects, jewelry, interior design, and of course gratings, gates, and weather vanes. A special focus will be on free art objects, otherwise rarely executed by smithing. The exhibited works are for sale.
At the conclusion of the exhibition, the celebration will begin at about 10 a.m. on Oct. 12, 2002 with a wide range of offerings. Among other highlights, the virtuoso smithing instructor Brad Silberberg (USA) will demonstrate his ability and Director Serge Pascal of the French smithing school, the Ecole Internationale de Ferronnerie Française, will report on his experiences in the restoration of the Statue of Liberty in New York.
The annual membership meeting of the IFGS will be held at about 5 p.m.
Starting at 8 p.m., the jubilee celebration will begin with live music and much more. We look forward in particular to the presentation of IFGS member Werner Zimmermann's "steel clothing". His models will show the "airy" meshes.
Live smithing will continue throughout the entire day of events.
The Association cordially invites all members and guests to attend.
Participating in the IFGS Jubilee Exhibition
from Sept. 1 - Oct. 13, 2002
in Hagen Open-Air Museum
- Every IFGS member can exhibit two objects of his choice to represent his work.
One object should be suitable for outdoors. Here there is no limitation on size.
A second (smaller) object can be exhibited indoors and should be of an easily handled size.
Eligible are free objects, wells, gates, weather vanes, grave decoration, lighting objects, contemporary (not necessarily smithed) examples from interior decorating, jewelry, etc.
- The jubilee exhibition will be jury-free. The Association expects competently executed works with a high design value from its members.
- Participation is free of charge.
- The production of a catalogue of the exhibition is planned.
- The exhibition will be set up on Aug. 31 and Sept. 1, 2002. At that time, there will be a team of helpers on site to set up exhibits. Group transports to Hagen will be organized. Further information is available from the IFGS.
- The exhibition will be opened at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 1, 2002 at Hagen Open-Air Museum with VIPs in attendance.
- For the duration of the exhibition, the Association will attempt to make it possible to sell smaller handicraft objects, jewelry, etc. to exhibition visitors in the museum's sales office.
The exhibition will conclude with the festive celebration of the 10-year jubilee of the IFGS in the "Schmiedekeller" ("Smith's Cellar") of the Hagen Westphalian Open-Air Museum from Oct. 12-13, 2002.
Guests are welcome!
- The celebration begins at noon on October 12.
- A wide range of attractions is planned:
- outstanding demonstrations by renowned national and international artist blacksmiths
- interesting lectures
- a variety of other programs
- The annual IFGS membership meeting will be held in the open-air museum at about 5:00 p.m. on Oct. 10, 2002.
- Beginning at 8:00 p.m., the jubilee celebration begins in the "Schmiedekeller" with music, a cold buffet, and more. (All events and meals are free of charge to IFGS members and their partners)
- Reasonably priced accommodations are available.
Prior registration is appreciated, but is not a prerequisite.
Matthias Peters, President
Tel. 0049 24 02 / 2 58 41nbsp; Fax 0049 24 02 / 8 59 36
Cees Pronk, Vice President
Tel. 0031 (0) 488 / 45 43 68 nbsp; Fax 0031 (0) 488 / 45 15 73
Ingolf Eschenbach, Press and Public Relations
Tel. (01024) 0177 23 08 160nbsp; Fax 0049 30 292 12 84
Heide Zyche, Treasurer and On-Site Organizer
Tel. 0049 23 31 / 72 49 9 nbsp; Fax 0049 23 31 / 73 53 09
Heiner Marten, Internet Presentation
Tel. 0049 43 51 / 75 25 95 Fax 0049 43 51 / 75 25 21
Comments to: Editor at anvilfire.com